Tuesday 17 April 2012

Hummingbird Cake


On Saturday night, I baked a Hummingbird cake.  I've been meaning to bake it since I tried it in a wonderful tea room in York called Georgina's Café.  Theirs was in tray bake style and rather rustic in appearance.  That was the charm for me.  I choose it due to it's appearance, looking like the ugly duckling amongst all the other layered cakes and because I'd seen it in my Magnolia Bakery cookbook.  I've been itching to bake something that I'd consider to be proper 'home baking'.
 
I was so excited to make this and in true OCD (obsessive cake disorder) style, had to frost it immediately after it cooled.  I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing there was an unfrosted, gorgeous cake in my kitchen! Maybe I need help?! But that's how much I'm passionate about cake and the finished item.   I had to see it in all it's glory before I crept to bed at 1am. 

 















I used this recipe from BBC Food

It's similar to carrot cake due to the nuts and cinnamon and using oil instead of butter.  However, this has more depth and scope than carrot cake.  The bananas and pineapple transforms it into something really special and is utterly delicious.  I didn't use mango as stated in the recipe, however used more pineapple and cinnamon to compensate.  I love cinnamon and recipes could always use a bit more for my palette! I sprinkled toasted desiccated coconut on top, which ignited all the flavours.  The cake is finished with a smooth cream cheese (full fat Philadelphia) frosting.

Verdict: Hummingbird cake is now my favourite cake. It has everything for me - fruit, nuts, spice and a rich centre and topping.  The texture of it is perfect, dense and yet still so moist.

17 comments:

  1. Oooooo fabulous...Hummingbird cake is the best! Many people haven't heard of it but they're always wowed by the taste!! Yours looks so pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments again Laura! I think that everyone should try Hummingbird cake because it's so delicious. I think I'll be making it again soon... ! :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It looks so tempting and lush doesn't it? I like the contrast of the brown and white :-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful looking cake! I love Hummingbird cakes although I've never actually made one (probably because my aunty bakes such a good one I don't want to compete!) Like yourself I often get struck by OCD and find myself still icing cakes at 1am. How can others go to bed when their cake is naked in the kitchen?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I have no idea Jo, it had to be finished so I could sleep soundly! Does you Aunty use any special ingredients? You should definitely give it go though :-)

      Delete
  4. Hummingbird is definitely one of my favourite all time flavours too! Yours looks delish! I especially like the look of all that yummy toasted coconut on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you for commenting! Yes, the toasted coconut really set the cake off in my opinion. I love toasted nuts anyway, it just transforms them :-)

      Delete
  5. What a yummy cake! I like this very much. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks gorgeous, I love Hummingbird Cake! Your glass cake stand and cover is really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, isn't it the most amazing cake?! Delicious. Thank you, but the stand is actually plastic! It's brilliant because I'm rather clumsy and I don't need to worry about breaking it :-) It's from Laura Ashley. P.S following your blog now.

      Delete
  7. How delicious. Great with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! It was my meal replacement for a few days :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow! Gorgeous Hummingbird cake! Love this delicious flavor cake! Great job on the frosting, looks lovely & very elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. u go girl u kept that a secret dint yas

    ReplyDelete