Monday 26 August 2013

Pastels and Vintage Lace Cupcakes


We had a long awaited family catch up last weekend (we live up north in Nottinghamshire and Sheffield, while they live down south in Essex, Bedfordshire etc) and don’t see each other as much as we’d like to. Life just tends to take over and as we all know, time flies by! However, I have a car now, so I will definitely be seeing more of them.
 
They have never tasted my baking before, but have said that they’ve ‘regularly drooled over pictures of my baking online’, so I definitely had to provide dessert!
I made some of my best sellers/most loved by family/signature bake, which are my Maltesters cupcakes. I also baked some orange poppy seed cake, which is another household favourite and will get the spotlight in a blog post some time soon.


 It was my Auntie Sylvia’s birthday on the 12th August, so I made her some bespoke cupcakes. I would never trust the postman to deliver a batch unscathed so I was thankful to be able to give them to her in person. It was an absolute delight to give them in person because of her reaction and everyone else’s reactions to them. One of my favourite things in life is to make people smile through my baking and decorating.
 

 
I honestly had no clue how I was going to decorate them. I had a few new tools and techniques that I wanted to try out and the rest would be ad-libbed! It takes one completed cupcake for me to then see where I’m going for the rest. That’s the excitement of starting with a blank canvas. My favourite style of decorating is definitely the elegant vintage lace, with pastel shades and bold flowers. I likened all of that to a very well put together outfit (LBD + Tiffany jewellery + statement scarf) with a flawless face of makeup.
 
What I love the most about cake decorating is how much you can let go of your thoughts. I did not think about anything but those decorations and the task in hand. It was utter bliss, made even better with the perfect play list!

2 comments: